Friday, November 27, 2009

Smoked Paprika Roast Chicken

I think there is a pattern....I only like to do simple easy recipes. Guess most people are like that with the time restraints and the never ending agenda's in our diaries, people are trying to do more in less time. Well here's another easy recipe to add to the list, Smoked Paprika Roast Chicken. I haven't cooked with smoked paprika before so I noticed that there is quite a difference between normal paprika and smoked paprika. In a good way.

The marinade (recipe below)
Coating the chicken in marinade

Nicely coated

It looks burnt, but trust me it didn't taste like it

And of course, eaten with rice and a simple side salad (of lettuce, capsicum, spanish onion and tomatoes)

Yes the chicken looks totally burnt but it wasn't. It had a really lovely full smoky flavour to it that was addictive. I don't remember where I got this recipe from (so sorry for not acknowledging the source), but it's too good not to share.
Smoked Paprika Roast Chicken
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon softened butter
2 teaspoons garlic salt (or 1 teaspoon salt plus 1 teaspoon garlic powder) - I thought I had garlic salt up I didn't so I used 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 whole 1.5kg roasting chicken

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Rinse the chicken off with cold water. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towels (otherwise the paste won't stick).
2. Mix together the paprika, honey, lemon juice, butter, garlic salt, and pepper. Spread over the entire surface of the chicken and place on a shallow baking pan.
3. Bake at 325°F for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. You may need to adjust the time depending on how big your chicken is. The chicken is done when the juices run clear (not pink) when a knife tip is inserted into both the chicken breast and thigh, about 165-170°F for the breast and 180-185°F for the thigh.

4 comments:

  1. ooh i love roasting a chicken it makes the whole house smell so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Bren! I think that simple meals are the best for entertaining as it takes the stress out of it, and who doesn't like roast chicken? This is a new flavour combination for me - I must try it next time I roast a chook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that looks delicious! I'd like to give your blog an award, stop by my blog to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cakelaw - Thank you! Yes totally agree with you, the less stress the better!

    Hi Suze - It sure does....and makes the neighbours jealous hahaha! Yes my neighbours live that close to me....

    Hi Betty - Wow cool! I'll be stopping by shortly ; )

    ReplyDelete