Monday, June 15, 2009

Minestrone Soup & Honey Soy Chicken

Woo hoo my PC is back up and running properly again so I can now upload more recent photos, starting with my Minestrone Soup, followed by (that same evening) Honey Soy Chicken.

A couple of weeks ago I was craving minestrone soup and having gone through 2 cans of the stuff, I decided to finally make my own pot full. The first can I tried was from Campbells (Country Ladle) - that was really nice. I've since bought some more for the days I can't be bothered chopping and cooking. The second can was from Heinz - I didn't like this one too much because it was too sweet. And then there was the verison I made:

I really enjoyed it. It's easy to make and is a meal on it's own because you use so many vegies. I initially made the soup for lunch but ended up with such a large pot of it I also had it for dinner, along with the chicken.
Here's the Minestrone Soup Recipe which I followed. I changed the recipe slightly, eliminating the pumpkin and barlotti beans. Also I broke up spaghetti instead of using macaroni. Another reason why I love this recipe, it's so versatile.
On to the chicken....I knew we had to cook the chicken up that night or it was going in the bin and all that we had to go with it was honey, soy and seeded mustard. I've heard that these ingredients work together but I've never made it myself, so we had to wing it.

With this marinade you really should leave it overnight or at least 2 hours. We were hungry, it was 8pm so didn't bother.

Rough recipe:
2 chicken breasts (sliced or scored for more even cooking)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey (heated in the microwave so it's runny)
1 tablespoon seeded mustard

Mix it all together and cooked it on low heat in a pan

It wasn't bad. I'd try it again but next time I'll leave it overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment