Friday, July 16, 2010

Savoury Muffins

These muffins are great for kids who don't enjoy their vegetables. They are so tasty and moreish even for adults. It helps that I use lots of bacon too I suppose. Omit the bacon and you will have a vegetarian muffin that is (in my books) healthy and still delicious. Just make sure you double the batch because I find that these go really quickly.


Ingredients

1 onion chopped finely

4 rashes of bacon (rindless) chopped finely

1 carrot grated

1 zucchini grated

4 eggs

1 cup of tasty cheese

1/4 cup milk

1 cup self raising flour

salt & pepper

NB: The best thing about this recipe is you don't have to use these vegies, you can substitute it for anything you want to use up in the fridge. And in my case I had red capsicum and pumpkin I wanted to use up


Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease 2 x 12 hole muffin tins

2.Sautee the onion and bacon (takes about 3 mins), then add the other vegies and cook for another 3 mins. Transfer to a bowl.

3. While the bacon and vegie mixture is cooling, mix the eggs, cheese, cream, salt and pepper in another bowl.

4. Pour the cream mixture into the bacon and vegie mixture and stir.

5. Add the flour and stir through (don't over mix though)

6. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for around 15mins.


Onion and bacon

Carrot and pumpkin


Capsicum and zucchini


Cooling down the cooked bacon and vegie mixture

Egg, cheese, milk, salt and pepper


Everything combined


Fresh out of the oven (I decided to use a rectangle muffin tin this time which meant it took a little longer than the 15mins)


Very moreish!

1 comment:

  1. My daughter made these muffins for her 6 year old sons birthday party, they went down a treat with children and adults.In fact my eldest grand daughter, now has them for breakfast, as she can eat them on the run, and her mum knows she is getting something healthy inside her, plus is eating veggies too. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete