Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mussels with Bacon and Leek

I think this is the first seafood recipe I've posted up. Needless to say that's because I'm not a big fan of seafood. I find that there is a fine line where it tips over to a fishy, ocean, briney taste and then it just makes me gag on the spot. I still eat it but I don't always enjoy it. Dad loves to steam a whole fresh fish and most of the time I'll only pick a bit of it. I know I know it's wasted on me! To have someone cook you a fresh steamed fish and I still can't enjoy it. That's not to say I dislike all types of seafood. It's just that I only like specific seafood cooked a specific way eg mud crabs in ginger and shallot sauce or salt and pepper squid. What seafood do I hate the most? Anything cold but at the top of the list I think it has to be the cooked but cold blue swimmer crabs you get with some seafood platters *shudders* oh and oysters.....gag gag gag!!!

Putting my dislike of seafood aside, I stumbled upon this mussel recipe when surfing the net and was curious to try. Reading the ingredients list and the instructions convinced me it was simple enough to prepare and I figured if I didn't like it, my family should.

Browning the bacon

Sautee the leeks


Adding the mussels

I would try this again but I would probably use less bacon as it was a bit on the salty side but still very good.
Would I add mussels to my list? Not right up there with mud crab ; ) But my husband and dad liked it so I know this recipe is fine, it's just me with the issues. I'd be happy to cook mussels again with a different sauce just to compare.

2 comments:

  1. i hate cold cooked crabs too! nasty! your mussels look great tho mmm bacon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suze - Hehehe you love your bacon hey ; )

    ReplyDelete