Monday, September 7, 2009

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

It was bound to happen at some point - I got tagged to do a recipe....thanks Steph (from Moobear), yeah I still love ya! She had me sweating as soon as I read her post. The pressure....

Right, so what I had to do was choose an ingredient from her recipe and make something of my choice (and I'm suppose to tag four other people, but I don't know anyone who would do it....anyone offering? Hehehe)

From Steph's recipe of Aji I decided to pick lemons as my ingredient from her list and make Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.
Cupcake mixture

Ready for baking


Straight out of the oven





The perfect opportunity to use my new Tupperware Bake 2 Basics Squeeze It

The Squeeze it was so easy to use, I love it!

I used the grill in my oven to toast the tops

Hello my pretty...
These little babies were enjoyed by my family at Bicentennical Park over the weekend, we have a 3 day celebration for fathers day this year woo hoo! Up next is Black Forest Cake and then tonight we are going for dinner in Burwood to celebrate again.....the men in this family sure are spoilt!!!
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes (I made some slight adjustments but the original recipe is here)
For the Cupcakes:
90g softened butter
90g softened cream cheese
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice (more if you prefer a stronger lemon flavour)
2/3 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
½ cup plain flour
1/3 cup self-raising flour
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Line a 12 cupcake pan or a 24 mini cupcake pan, with cupcake papers
3. Beat the butter, cheese, lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar and eggs until smooth and creamy.
4. Sift the flours. Add the flour gradually to the cheese mixture and beat on a low speed, until just combined
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch.
7. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
For the meringue:
4 eggwhites
3/4 cup (155g) caster sugar
Place eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric mixer to whisk until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating well between each addition. Continue beating for 2-3 minutes or until sugar completely dissolves.
Pipe or spoon meringue on top of each eachcake, using a round-bladed knife to shape in peaks over the cupcake. Use a small brûlée gun to grill the meringue until lightly golden. Alternatively, transfer cupcakes to an oven tray; place under a preheated grill until lightly golden.

5 comments:

  1. OMG How yummy do they look!! I told you there was no pressure!! You do it to your self!!! lol

    kisses Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yum!! I will definitely have to try that one. Talk about pressure, Steph tagged me too and now I have these cup cakes to live up to as well...jeez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so adorable! And I can understand the pressure about being tagged to make cupcakes but you did a beautiful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous Brenda - so adorable! I love lemon meringue too, so I could probably gobble down a number of these without batting an eyelid. I am impressed by your Tupperware squeezie thing - I have a list as long as your arm of Tupperware gadgets I'd like to buy, but I have to be good and choose just a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever to grill them to get that toasty top. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete