Thursday, January 24, 2013

Banoffee Pie


I have to thank my sister-in-law Natasha for making a Banoffee Pie and bringing it to one of our parties over 10 years ago. Everytime I eat a slice, it always reminds me of her :)  It's one of those desserts that still makes me go weak at the knees. Even after all these years. Mmmmm my saliva glands are working overdrive just typing this post.

Ingredients
1 can condensed milk
200g Digestives (half a packet)
100g butter
300ml cream
2 ripe bananas
Bar of chocolate

Method
1. Place the can of condensed milk in a saucepan filled with water. Make sure the can is fully submerged in water during the boiling process as the can could explode. Whether this is a myth or not, I don't know but I'm not willing to risk it! Boil for 2.5 to 3 hours. Allow to cool compeletely (also stores really well so you could boil up 3 cans and keep it for use later)


2. Crush the biscuits and mix in the melted butter.
NB - You could use a food processor, it would be a lot easier and faster. But I just used elbow grease - rolling pin and baking paper




3. Press the biscuit mixture down firmly into the tin (best to use a springform) with the back of a metal spoon. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour or more. Just before you assemble, whip the cream up.

 4. Now to assemble. Pour the caramel over the biscuit base
 


5. Now for a layer of sliced banana

6. Next is the whipped cream

7. And finish off with grated chocolate.

The tense moment of removing the pie from the tin





When it's out in one piece and I breathe again



3 comments: