Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Profiteroles

Oh Profiteroles! These babies are baaaaaad. In a good way. I feel I'll be making these a lot more now that I've experimented and found a choux pastry recipe that is actually good and easy to do. My first trial were disasterous! Balls of dough that were hard, yet chewy and even when I overbaked them, still managed to taste doughy and undercooked. Yuck. But because I had already made the creme patissiere I decided to look for another recipe and bake another batch and much to my delight, they worked out! 

  

Creme Patissiere
1 3/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar 
1/3 cupplain flour

Method

1. Warm milk and vanilla in a saucepan
(Oh Costco, how I love your large squeeze jars of vanilla bean paste! And at $25 a pop, comes out a lot cheaper than the small jar I usually get from the local supermarket)

2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and sugar until thick.

3. Next whisk in the flour and then followed by the milk mixture.

4. Pour it all back into the saucepan and cook on low heat for 5mins, whisking continuously.

After about 5mins the mixture should have thickened considerably.

5. Pour it into a jug, cover and place in the fridge to chill.

Choux Pastry for the Profiteroles

40g butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup plain flour
2 eggs
 
Method
1. Place butter and water in saucepan and bring it up to the boil.

2. Add the flour and using a wooden spoon mix it vigorously until the mixture comes away from the side of the saucepan and forms this big doughly blob.

3. Place the dough into a large bowl, along with the egg.

Beat it till you get a thick batter.


4. Spoon the mixture onto baking paper and bake for 20mins at 180C

 



Assembling the profiteroles

1. Pipe the creme patissiere into the pastry

2. Melt some chocolate in the microwave (I find the microwave the easiest. The whole baine marie method is a little cumbersome unless you are mixing it with cream and making more of a ganache)

3. Dip the pastry into the chocolate and place it on a wire rack to set.





2 comments:

  1. Found your blog when I searched for a chorizo pasta recipe, which I am happily eating thanks to your recipe and am looking through all your yummy posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you so much! It makes me so happy to know people read my blog and actually make some of the recipes I post up :)

      Delete