Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Orange and Fennel Salad

This is such a classic salad, but one I have never made or even tasted before. Till now. I was at the local fruit and veg store and because oranges and fennel are in season, they were both really cheap with the naval oranges going at 99cents/kg and the fennel 3 bulbs for 69cents, I thought what the hey lets give it a go.

Make sure your fennel is sliced really really thin. I used my trusty old V-Slicer, yes I am a total sucker for those kitchen/household gadgets that supposedly cut down your preperation/cooking time or household chores. The worst buy was my carpet sweeper purchase....sigh.....what was I thinking.....that's why I have a vacuum cleaner. My best buy would have to be the magic bullet. Best for pureeing baby food....I digress.....

So back to the salad. I tried a thin slice of the fennel and was not impressed. It was way too strong for my liking and I could not imagine eating this salad. I was already preparing myself to hate it and wondering what I would do with it all. And I knew I had to make it because I'd already bought the 2 main ingredients. You know what? I really enjoyed it. That dressing...yum! It was fresh, it was light, it was just so surprising to me because I had convinced myself I would detest it, but I didn't! Yay! Once you combine it all and eat it as a whole, the fennel is much milder in taste. This would be perfect with a BBQ'd steak : )

Orange and Fennel Salad
Ingredients
75g rocket
2 oranges (peeled and segmented)
1 fennel bulb (sliced very thinly)
For the dressing:
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Method
1. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together.

2. Place the rocket and fennel in a large bowl and toss them. Scatter the segmented oranges over it and then drizzle the dressing over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment