Thursday, July 14, 2011

Margaret's Best-Ever Meatloaf Roast for four

Margaret Fulton has been creating these recipe cards recently which are popping up in Woolworths. I've collected a few and this meatloaf recipe was the first one out of the Winter Series I've tried.

I really wanted to love this. And with the name "Best-Ever" I had really high hopes. I've made meatloaf in the past and they never got much praise so I was hoping this one would wow me. But unfortunately it didn't. However my husband liked it. He ate it 4 days in a row! So it's probably just me. I just don't like meatloaf. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. In fact the glaze was beautiful and extremely simple to make. It was this glaze that made it ok. I suppose I just had high expectations (I'm sorry Mrs Fulton!). Don't rule it out though, like I said my husband really enoyed it.

Margaret's Best-Ever Meatloaf Roast for four. Only $14.09
Prep Time 15mins
Serves 4
Cooking Time 1 hour

Ingredients
750g beef mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
1/2 red onion, sliced thickly lengthwise
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoon Homebrand tomato paste
1 tablespoon Homebrand vinegar
2 tablespoon Homebrand Australian honey
750g washed potatoes, peeled
50g Homebrand unsalted butter
1/3 cup hot milk

Method
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (180 degrees for fan forced).
2. Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley and egg, with salt and pepper to taste, mixing well with your hands. Shape into a rectangular loaf, approximately 25cm x 11cm on a cheet of baking paper in a large roasting pan. Top with the red onion slices (pressing lightly) and bake for 45mins.

Yeah I forgot to lightly beat the egg first
I literally shaped it into a loaf tin....

3. Meanwhile to make glaze, heat 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan with the tomato paste, vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thickened and glossy

See the difference in thickness
Back on track, moving it onto a roasting pan instead


4. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and drain away any liquid from the pan. Spoon over some of the glaze and bake for another 15 minutes, until cooked through, basting with the remaining glaze once or twice more.
The glaze before it's been in the oven
Ready to eat. Altough it needs more glaze (I made a second batch later)


5. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water to cover until soft. Drain well and return the potatoes to the pan to dry off any excess moisture. Remove from heat and mash until smooth, adding the butter and milk, and mash until creamy. Serve with thick slices of hot or warm meatloaf.


4 comments:

  1. I make this meatloaf often for my husband & myself. He eats the leftover cold with salad. I enjoy being able to cook an easy economical meatloaf & we both enjoy it hot with creamy mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the Best meatloaf I have tasted!!
    Thank you Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really like meat loaf , until I made this recipie is easy to make and I love it, and everyone I made it for loves it too. And its cheap. You usually will have all ingredients in your pantry and I only have to buy the mince. Once again Love Margret Fultons quick and easy meat loaf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this over the years and thought it was quite bland.
    Yesterday I tricked it up a little by using 500g lean mince and 250g sausage mince and adding chilli flakes to the mix.
    It was delicious 😋

    ReplyDelete