Thursday, June 9, 2011

LGM Alien Cupcakes (Toy Story)

I'm back! Sorry it's been so long since I last posted on here. It has been a very very hectic couple of months with moving to a new house, settling in, the son starting pre-school, both kid's having their birthdays within a week of each other (my daughter's being her first birthday so the party was a big deal....for me anyway hehehe), no internet because of (shall I name and shame?)....TPG with their overseas customer service reps who are incompetent and unreliable.....yes I am full of excuses. So anyway lets start off with a nice easy one today shall we......

No surprises that my son loves Toy Story. He initially requested a Woody cake, but after a couple of weeks convincing him that the LGMs (Little Green Men) are better, he finally came around to the idea. I suppose telling him that I could make heaps of them, rather than just one Woody mostly swayed him ; )

I found the alien cupcake details here, but clever me forgot I wouldn't have internet access after I moved and I only saved the link and photo to my laptop and not the whole list of ingredients. Still I went to Woolies and put together what I thought was the right stuff. And lucky I didn't go by that recipe because what are green apple sour belts?? Or apple sour straws??

I used a simple vanilla cake recipe and of course any plain cupcake recipewill do too.

For decorating the cupcakes you will need:
Butter cream icing (250g butter, 1 cup icing sugar)
Blue and yellow food colouring
White marshmellows
Spearmint leaves
Edible black wirting gel
Green musk stick

The cupcakes (no your eyes aren't deceiving you, there are 2 sizes)

Green butter cream
You will need a lot more yellow than blue colouring to give it that real neon green colour

Pop on 3 white marshmellows for the eyes

Stick 2 leaves in - one on each side for the ears

Dot the eyes with the black writing gel
And for the mouth

Or squiggles

And finally top it with a green musk stick
I found a pack of musk sticks in various colours and just picked out the green ones. You'll be hard pressed to find only green musk sticks. I tried to look for roll-ups (remember those?) but they only had them in the "normal" colours like red for raspberries

Same but different....

And here he is enjoying his LGM cupcake
Happy 4th birthday!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is brilliant and so very much like LGM! I hope he had a fabulous birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww these are so cute! Hope your son had a fantastic birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorraine - Thank you so much!
    Hi Helen - Yes he did have a fantastic day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete