Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grilled Garlic Prawns

I don't like prawns, but this is one prawn dish that I will eat and actually enjoy. I think because I'm certain that the poop chute is completely removed and there is no chance of crunching on sand (poop) whilst eating the prawn *gag* just made myself sick.

The recipe that follows is a rough guess because when I asked my dad how much garlic? How much butter? How much prawns? He got fed up of me asking and just said "Go have a look yourself. See there, that's how much". Love home cooked food and recipes...there is no real quantity, just some of this and some of that, but it always comes together and tastes so good.

Ingredients
1kg large prawns
70g butter
10 cloves of crushed garlic
salt and pepper

According to dad this is how much of the butter and garlic I need
1. Place butter, crushed garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to form a paste

2.Preparing the prawns (butterfly prawns)
Slice down the middle as shown

Remove the poop chute (or intestinal tract)


Open up the prawn

Flatten it with the knife

You can stop at this stage if you want but dad wanted to trim the head and take out the gunk in it

Scrap out the head gunk

And your prawns are now ready

3. Spoon some of the garlic butter onto each prawn and grill for around 5mins on high

Grilled Garlic Prawns

5 comments:

  1. lol at your questions to your dad. A true chef never measures, right? These look amazing, and such professional butterflying too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man i have issues with the poop chute too! hehe and the boy is allergic to prawns so i hardly ever get to eat them but your garlic prawns look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh my mum makes these exact same prawns! Well they look the same, I'm not sure if the exile is the same. They're delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are pretty impressive! I could see myself mangling the prawns, but they look plate perfect "butterflied" like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen - Yeah you are so right : )
    Thank you!

    Hi Suze - Thank you.
    Glad I'm not the only one! LOL

    Hey Lorraine - Hehehe it's a very common recipe....so simple I'm sure many more people make it exactly the same way : )

    Hi Cakelaw - Thanks! Hahahah love the way you put it! Mangling the prawns...it's so true! You have to

    ReplyDelete