Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hong Kong Frankfurt Buns

I love all types of HK buns. And when I saw this particular recipe on Christine's website, I had to make them. It's a little fiddly because there are 2 parts to it. You have to make the tangzhong paste the night before and let it set overnight and then finish off the dough the next day. Apparently the tangzhong paste is the secret to that fluffy bouncy bread you can find in the Chinese/Japanese bakeries. Mine didn't turn out as fluffy as I'd hoped but I know it's to do with the colder temperature I was working with that day.

The tangzhong mix
50g bread flour
250ml water

Once the tangzhong mix thickens it's ready

Cover and place in the fridge overnight
You don't need me to talk you through kneeding the dough or showing you pictures of that process. Although I think I need heaps more practice. And next time I'll cheat and use the dough hook. Besides, Christine has the photos up on her blog with a really clever way to know when the dough is ready.
Dough done and coiled around the frankfurt.
Ready for baking






I will definitely try these again (and also try the other Asian buns she has posted up). The kids loved it so that's a bonus already.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I love buying these from the Asian bakeries! Pity they weren't fluffy enough but that close up looks like you have a pretty awesome homemade replica! yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What adorable little finger food! :D You could take these to picnics or serve them at a children's (or adult's) party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen - Hehehe, I have a long way to go before they are just like the ones from the bakery : ) Thank you!

    Hi NQN - Yes definitely. Now to be invited to a party...... ; )

    ReplyDelete